How to Fix Microsoft Outlook Not Responding Error
The “Microsoft Outlook Not Responding” error is nothing new to us. Rather, it is one annoying issue that might result in other technical lags and major repercussions. If your Microsoft Outlook is currently not responding, do not fret or look for some quick yet cheap fixes. Instead, invest some time in reading this blog.
It shall guide you through the technical nitty-gritty of the MS Outlook not responding issues, and help you with a permanent fix to the problem.
Why Is Outlook Not Responding?
First things first, before you delve deeper, it is important for you to learn why is your Outlook not responding? Here are some of the notable probabilities that hint towards unresponsive Outlook and its technical functionalities.
- Your Outlook data files have become corrupted or damaged.
- Probably, you need to repair the Outlook application.
- Your antivirus software is outdated or the application might have been subjected to critical malware attacks.
- Your user profile has become outdated, hacked or corrupted.
Read Also: How to Fix IMAP Outlook Error 0x800ccc0e
Finding the Right Fixes to “Microsoft Outlook Not Responding Errors”
Now that you know why Outlook stops responding, let’s take a step ahead and figure to how to find the right fixes and run the application without any hiccup.
Here’s everything you need to know.
Restart Outlook in Safe Mode
This, by far, one of the most recommended and safest ways to bring MS Outlook back on track. Here are the essentials you need to follow to restart Outlook in Safe Mode.
- Click on Outlook’s icon by pressing the “Ctrl” key.
- Or you can enter “outlook.exe/safe in the command line.
- Now, you will receive a message, asking you to confirm whether you really want to restart Outlook in Safe Mode.
- Simply click on the “yes” button, and you are good to go.
Disable your Outlook Add-in Option
This is again one efficient way to fix the “Microsoft Not Responding” error. You can simply disable the Outlook Add-in option. But, hold on! Do not rush to the conclusion this early.
There are a few essentialities that need to be acknowledged and steps to be followed to disable this option in the right manner. Here’s what you must know.
- If you are using Outlook 2007, then go to the “Tools” menu, click “Trust Centre”, choose “Add-Ins” and click “Go”.
- In case you are using Outlook 2010 or 2013, switch to the “File” tab, click “Options” and then click “Go”.
- You can now follow the instructions as prompted by the application and disable the “Add-in’ option accordingly.
Turn off your Antivirus program
At times, keeping the Antivirus software turned on might result in a couple of setbacks, thus, making the Outlook application unresponsive. So, here’s what you can do in order to turn off your Antivirus software safely and resume the Outlook application without hassle.
- There is a difference between uninstalling and turning off your Antivirus software.
- Here, you need to turn off the program in order to determine the right fixes.
- So, you need to go to the Control Panel and turn off the program.
- Once you are done turning off the antivirus, you must restart your computer and see if everything is working fine.
- If you find everything is working fine, then it would be a clear indication that the Antivirus software was causing all the trouble.
- In case, you would prefer to use both the Antivirus and Outlook simultaneously, without any issues, add Outlook and its add-ins to the list of “Trusted Applications” in the Antivirus application.
Reduce your Outlook data file size
If you find the Microsoft Outlook application is not responding, then try reducing the Outlook data file size. This is said to be one effective way to get the issue fixed.
Here’s how you can go about this process.
- Simply clean up your Outlook inbox and other folders.
- Also, you can archive old mails and clear the “deleted items” folder in order to reduce the size of your Outlook data file size.
Try out repairing and updating Outlook
Lastly, you can always embrace this essentially effective method in an attempt to fix the “Outlook Not Responding” error.
Follow these steps to repair and update your MS Outlook.
- Go to Control Panel and search for MS Office (this includes the Outlook application as well) in the “Installed Programs” section.
- Now right click on the section and select the “Change” option.
- Click to Repair option, followed by clicking on the “Continue” tab.
- Now, keep following the subsequent instructions for successful repairmen and updation.
I feel safe to assume that the blog has successfully introduced you to the fixes for the “Microsoft Outlook Not Responding” issue. Simply take note of these key takeaways and refer to the pointers, as and when required, on the go.
- Restart the Outlook Application in Safe Mode.
- Disable the MS Outlook Add-in option.
- Turn off Antivirus program, if you have any.
- Reduce your MS Outlook data file size.
- Lastly, try repairing and updating Outlook.
Professional Approach to Fix “Outlook Not Responding” Error in Outlook 2016, 2013, and other below Versions.
If any of the above-mentioned method doesn’t work, then you can rely on a professional software, i.e. LMbyte Outlook PST Repair. The tool has a capability to repair and recover Outlook PST files instantly. The tool is designed to handle any kind of corruption within the PST file. Using this software, you can even repair large-sized Outlook PST Files without any hassle.